Sunday, March 12, 2006

How I know for sure.

Sometimes during times of grief or intense stress we say things and we think things that aren't what we would normally think or feel.

When you are given a Poor Prenatal Diagnosis it changes you. You have been placed in a world that you had no clue existed. A world that nothing felt safe. That Doctors
make worse with fear.

During those moments you are told you have to make a choice. The most important choice you will ever make carry to term or end the pregnancy.

Life doesn't seem like a natural thing it feels out of control and you desperately search for anything that you can control. You can control something. You can end the situation. Doctor say it is the best option. Some people say the only humane option.
Yet isn't what you are saying is that even in this time of being so scared and barely able to think a sane thought that I know better than God.

For Non Fatal Diagnosis such as Down syndrome. I believe the biggest terminations are done in moments of intense fear and worry over what the babies future might.
This grey area that people talk about meaning that some kids with Ds are affected worse than others. Makes many people refuse to see how joyful their life COULD be
that they did not have to grieve forever the way that Mothers with angels do. Down syndrome is a whole new world. There is a lot of joy here. No joy in burying a baby. There is medical issues for some but the same could happen with any "typical" child.
Why not give it a chance???


I have heard about not wanting to bring a child in the world so that it would suffer.
I have heard that we treat dogs more humane than our children because we would put them to sleep.

What I have to say about that is in all the time that I have been on boards and reading stories of Mothers who made this choice NOT once NOT ONE single time have I ever heard any one of them say.

"I might have terminated my pregnancy because I didn't want to bring a child in the world where he would have to suffer painful medical issues but I would gladly go adopt a child with Down syndrome."

They wont say that because at the core of their choice was not wanting the life that Down syndrome made them THINK they would have. They never gave their baby a chance to show them any different.

Yesterday I read one of them say that Termination for Medical reasons was MORE painful than a miscarriage. I read as they listed out what they thought was more painful. All the while I was reading in intense pain as I seen the dates on some of the posts terminated at 24 weeks at 25 weeks SO SOHO sad.

I would give anything to have my babies back, I would not care if they had Down syndrome. I want them every moment of my conscious thoughts. I dream about them at night I wake up wanting them and wishing I could have known them.
Saying that someone that chose to end her babies life hurts more than I do is insane. I would NEVER say I hurt more because you can't measure grief and loss that way. Pain is felt by people in many different ways.
Some women can loose a baby at 6 wks and grieve harder and longer than a Mother that has a child that is stillborn.
ALL losses at this point are PROSPECTIVE losses.
Prospective losses can include the loss of a dream or finding out the baby's gender is not what you hoped.
You do not know the child that is growing within you. You dream that child into life.
Being able to accept that your child has a disability depends on how flexible you are to those dreams.
People that hold such a rigid view on how their future should be can never be fully happy. Because life is messy. Life takes sudden detours to places you would have never chosen. The key to happiness is to take what life is handing you and find the meaning in it.

Having a child with Down syndrome has made me a better person. It has opened my eyes to so many truths of the universe. If I had not have had this child I could not think or feel or the dimensions that I am able to do.

I feel VERY sorry for people that do not have a child with Down syndrome. I see them as missing something.

In the bible. Back in the Garden of Eden. God's original blueprint for Man was perfect and without sin.

Many times in the bible God said that you must become as little children.

Innocent and childlike thinking are things that the bible tells us our blessing.

Kaden was designed on that original blueprint. A blueprint God had intended to use for everyone before Eve ate the apple before we were kicked out of the Garden of Eden and before God took away one of our chromosomes.

People that terminate just for Down syndrome are saying I can't and I wont see the beauty in the variety of God's creation. I will not accept any reality other than the ones that I choose and I will not for one second think that life has higher realm of existence. I chose to end my child's life based on perception. I choose to believe I am doing this FOR my child. I choose to end a life that would be full or joy, love and beauty, because I am scared of what it will SUBTRACT from my dreams, never considering everything it will add.

It is a shame that explore your options has come to mean. Think about having the baby insted of killing it. Such a shame. Such a heartbreaking truth.

I have read the stories about the heart defects and yes there are some babies that have fatal heart defects but most are able to be fixed with no life long issues.
Ultrasounds are WRONG a good deal of the time and no test can be done to tell how bad off the babies heart it. I was told that my son had a TWO chambered heart. He was born and that wasn't true at all.

Children with Down syndrome should have the chance to change your mind. To show you that you can and will love everything that they added to your world. It is not fair to keep killing these babies based on how YOU THINK that your life will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home